30.10.07

On studying online

“I can’t go to the cinema tonight. I have a Skype meeting with my professor. But maybe we can watch something on TV?”


Internet and its online possibilities provide services that serve not only for our entertainment but also can be used for educational and other honorable purposes. Three years ago I have never thought that I will be sitting in lecture-room and seeing in front of it just a Skype window and lecturer on video screen. But it really happened, actually for the first time in Latvia ever. In Vidzeme University College these online options indeed are important as more and more students come here not only from Vidzeme region.

Building a virtual workplace solves problems of being in absence. Of course, Skype lecture was just an experiment and the lecturer was sitting in the same building but possibilities still stays. Consultations via e-mails, Skype calls and chats, electronic environment of studies storing the study materials, data bases subscriptions for the latest publications, e-mail system and lists for all of the students, administration and lecturers and intranet with news and other useful information – it won’t be exaggerated to say that VUC is ahead to all higher education establishments in Latvia.

I can’t say I’m always happy with this kind of communication. Still I prefer direct meetings face to face but I know it’s quite impossible to organize everything. And it’s really safe feeling that you know – you can always ask for advice and get answer in a short time despite you're in Alaska, for example :) .

Virtual workplaces will be the nearest future in many organizations. Just have to adapt to the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment